MY SURVIVAL GUIDE IN THE BUSINESS WORLD
Colleagues have asked me how I have survived in a demanding 24/7 business and stayed active and productive. Success can be summed up in my six A’s:
- ATTITUDE. Maintain a can-do attitude, always be willing to try new things and be open minded. Having passion for what you do makes the journey a whole lot of fun. I’d rather have an inexperienced person with a great attitude than an experienced person who is negative or combative in negotiating with clients.
- ASSUMPTION. We assume we know what the client’s needs are, but never assume anything! You might have a piece of business for three consecutive years but don’t assume they will be back next year. Check and double check everything! We are in a business of details.
- ANTICIPATION. Stay one step ahead! In the hospitality business we need to live in a world of anticipation. Try to anticipate the wants, needs and desires as well as challenges of executing a great event for your groups and guests. Try to anticipate before they become a problem.
- AUTONOMY. Take ownership of resolving the problem. Not in the sense of working alone but giving your people the autonomy of resolving issues that may arise. Empower.
- APPRECIATION. A sincere and keen appreciation of the business coming through your doors. Let them feel the love! Never take business for granted!
- ACTION. I never left a meeting without asking what the action steps are and who is taking ownership. So many times people sit around and talk strategy but there are no action steps.